By Cole :: October 24, 2004 @ 12:31 PM
• 2 cups dried black-eyed peas, washed and picked through
• 2 cups water (plus additional as you cook)
• 3 large cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 leek, sliced (onion can be subsituted)
• 1 bag (about 8 cups) frozen chopped collard greens
• freshly ground black pepper
Put the black-eyed peas in a large saucepan or dutch oven. Add water, bring to a boil, and simmer covered about 15 minutes. Add garlic and salt and continue cooking on low heat until legumes are almost tender (about 40 minutes). Add water as necessary to keep from drying out. Add onion and collards. Stir and continue cooking about 10 minutes more until collards and onions are cooked. Add black pepper and serve hot with corn bread and sweet potatoes.
Notes: Remember to soak peas overnight.