« February 2005 :: Main :: April 2005 »

The Last Hurrah

By Cole :: March 31, 2005 @ 11:03 AM

I also, for a more dramatic effect, briefly considered titling this post "Oh My God, What Did I do to her Hair".

Let me explain:

Josie got her last sponge bath this morning. You may wonder why she's still getting sponge baths if her separation from the cord has been finalized. Well, you see - you have to let the belly button heal for a few days before you submerge your wee one in tub of tepid water. Hence, Josie was stinky (poor Hass had a hell of diaper change last night after Josie's first initial stretch of sleep), and because we don't let stinky babies lie as a rule of thumb in this house - we fired up the sponge bathing tools and went to work.

As I previously mentioned Josie hates bath time, I cannot say this often enough. The only thing Josie despises more then bath time is getting undressed. So you see, the situation is already rapidly disintegrating before I even touch her with a soapy cloth. Today's bath episode was much the same as previous ones. There's been little improvement in the three weeks we've been doing this (yes, our little baby is three weeks old today). However, what made today's bath time blog worthy? Well I swear I didn't do anything differently, but to explain the potential dramatic title - something funny is up with my baby's hair. If you examine her newborn pictures, you discover she had this little spiky mess atop her head, today after bath time that mess reappeared. It will not go away. It sits there, taunting me.

The unfortunate truth that I'm faced with this morning is something I'd long suspected. Josie is destined at worst to have plain old bad hair, and at best to have wildly uncontrollable hair. It's her legacy. There are plenty of other genetic factors, like eyesight where the kid stands of chance of winning out. Granted, Hassan can't see 8 inches past his face without glasses, but I'm actually one of the oddities that wore glasses as a child only to see their vision improve as an adult. There's hope there. I can't offer this poor kid any hope when it comes to hair. Hassan's hair becomes this pseudo-afro poofy blob when it grows longer then an inch and a half, and mine is far too thick and wavy to be controlled.

So just remember, when you see pictures of Josie, and your first inclination is to think "My God - her hair!" - Remember it was genetics that did her wrong.

Category Sprout :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

Musical Discoveries

By Hass :: March 31, 2005 @ 06:54 AM

I just discovered the U.K. artist of Sri Lankan descent, M.I.A. and her new album Arular. It's impossible to categorize, and even harder to stop humming. And it seems to have a tangy political message too.

Last fall I also "discovered" John Mayer and put him on frequent ipod rotation. It felt great to have found an exciting new indie artist that nobody else had ever heard of. It was some months later that I found out he had been a "pop-star" for a couple of years and even won a "grammy."

We'll have to see how long it is until I find out M.I.A. is really just another pop icon that completely slipped under my public radio listening, non tv watching radar.

Category Hass :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

Goodbye cord, Hello bathtub!

By Cole :: March 29, 2005 @ 06:09 PM

Sprout and her umbilical cord have officially separated (I think they're citing irreconcilable differences). The hospital had told us it would only take 7 to 10 days (post birth), but little Sproutie's cord held on for an amazing 17 days. Which is only noteworthy because it represents the amount of time necessary to make Mom and Dad concerned that they were doing something wrong.

Stay tuned this weekend for pictures and accounts of Sprout's first bath, which if it goes anything like those sponge baths we've occasionally subjected her too - well, let's just say it won't be pretty.

Category Sprout :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

PIxel-based mastery

By Hass :: March 28, 2005 @ 06:33 AM

Eboy redeisgned, and in a way that no longer includes pixel-based nudity on the opening page! And it seems they have an ecommerce thing going now. So, when everybody starts to wonder where I got the super cool wrapping paper from, this is it.

Category Links :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

sleep, a dream

By Hass :: March 28, 2005 @ 05:45 AM

We just had our best night of sleep to date. Sprout went down at 8:30 and slept until 2:45. We were out by 9 and not up until 3. That is simply an incredible duration of sleep. I'm not sure if everybody out there can grasp how long 6 hours of sleep is. In contrast, Josie normally sleeps from 90 minutes to 3 hours. 6 hours is long enough to dream, and dream well. It's long enough to for you to wake up and have it take a minute to remember that you wear glasses and have a daugther. This is the single longest stretch of sleep we have had since before she was born.

An auspicious start to my return to work today.

Category Sprout :: Comments (2) :: TrackBack (2)

Easter afternoon at Ikea (highlights)

By Hass :: March 27, 2005 @ 07:19 PM

To combat a worsening case of cabin fever, we headed out with Josie in tow. Everything else was closed so we went to the Mecca of affordable Sweedish furniture.

• The store was packed with secular urbanites, peoples of many non-christian persuasions, and the faithfull; dressed in their sunday best with lacy-dress wearing little girls strapped into strollers.
• out of the car we lept and realized we had never mated the stroller and the car seat. --Panic-- After a few minutes we had an arrangement that was satisfactory, not quite the manufacturers' recommended set up but it was close enough.
• The clamor of the vast entrance hall drowns out Josie's screams.
• The narrower confines of the showroom floor amplify baby screams and draw the gaze of curious onlookers.
• As our gaze drifted to the curious on lookers, popups began to form around them "These hands are not washed" "I have the sniffles" "guess what I'm coughing up!" "I have germ vision and can infect your daughter with a wierd tropical disease using only my eyes, Bru-ha-ha-ha-ha" "wow, that baby is small, should you really have her out in public like this?"
• The stroller corners great, a little loose on the straight aways though.
• you can't get a stroller between the bollards of the exit.

Summary for Josie's first outing involving the stroller:
30 minute drive (each way)
15 minutes in the store (~5 crying, 5 awake, 5 sleeping)
0 diapers soiled
0 items purchased

The world is a different place when viewed from the handle of a stroller.

Category Sprout :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

More cute baby

By Hass :: March 27, 2005 @ 02:00 PM

Category Galleries :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

2005-03-25 11:01:34

By Hass :: March 27, 2005 @ 01:47 PM

Last Roll

2005-03-25 09:57:40

By Hass :: March 27, 2005 @ 01:45 PM

Last Roll

2005-03-25 10:04:37

By Hass :: March 27, 2005 @ 01:43 PM

Last Roll

2005-03-25 10:11:52

By Hass :: March 27, 2005 @ 01:41 PM

Last Roll
Category Incoming Photos :: Comments (1) :: TrackBack (0)

2005-03-25 11:05:06

By Cole :: March 26, 2005 @ 11:11 AM

• Salt and pepper
• 1 cup frozen peas
• 1 pound penne, ziti or other cut pasta
• About 1 cup ricotta, preferably fresh
• 1 tablespoon softened butter
• 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

1. Bring a large pot of water to boil, and salt it. In a separate pot, cook peas in boiling salted water to cover, until just tender, about 3 minutes. Drain, rinse in cold water, drain again and set aside.

2. Cook pasta in the large pot. While it is cooking, mix ricotta, butter and half the Parmesan in a warm bowl. When pasta is almost done, remove about a cup of its cooking water, and use as much as you need to make ricotta mixture into a sauce.

Category Recipes :: Category Main Course :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (2)

The Update Part Deux

By Cole :: March 25, 2005 @ 07:09 PM

For those sitting on the edge of their seats awaiting news on the cat.

First, he has not been siezed from out custody due to blatant neglect.

However he does have a double ear infection. To be entirely accurate he has one active ear infection (the gross ear), and one old infection (that we likely never noticed but is still lingering).

How do you treat a double ear infection in a cat?

1. Take him in back room at the clinic and clean out ear. Return cat to owner with 2 wet ears while he repeatedly shakes his head.

2. Prescribe ear drops, a solution for rinsing ears, and antibiotics in PILL FORM. Quick aside here: Is this vet a madman? Has he ever attempted to give a cat a pill?

So that's the story. Feel free to send your condolences. (No, not to the cat, to Hassan and myself who have to spend the next week administering oral antibiotics to the cat). For those of you with experience medicating cats - let's hear your tips.

Category Gato :: Comments (4) :: TrackBack (0)

The Update

By Cole :: March 25, 2005 @ 04:12 PM

The Sprout:

Is measuring 21.5 inches, and weighing in at 9lbs 9oz (that's up nearly a pound from her birth weight). She had her 2 week well baby visit today and was officially labeled a well baby. Momma and Daddy are just pleased that they managed to survive 2 weeks, and not break her.

The Gato:

Is weighing in at god knows what (15lbs something last we knew), and has an ear infection. I am convinced this is simply his own pathetic plea for attention since he's been slightly neglected since we brought the Sprouter home from the hospital.

Honestly I hope the vet doesn't freak out and call some type of pet services people on us because in reality the cat's been sick for like weeks and we just haven't noticed.

Category Cole :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

2005-03-25 08:16:29

By Hass :: March 25, 2005 @ 08:35 AM

Library

I've never claimed to have a well developed fashion sense, but with an infant in my arms and getting dressed in the dark, I seem to have stumbled to a new low.
From the top::
• Red checkered flannel shirt (unbuttoned)
• Old striped and ill-fitting T-shirt (also worn yesterday)
• Nicole's cotton pajama pants (inside out)
• not shown: No underwear
In my defense, I did get dressed in stages, with each item of clothing added as I prepared for a different nighttime diaper change. The lights were off and I really don't care what I'm wearing, I'm a parent. And a sleep deprived one at that, so there!!

Full entry
Category Incoming Photos :: Comments (3) :: TrackBack (2)

Signs of Life

By Hass :: March 25, 2005 @ 07:27 AM

It's amazing how few words it takes to change the meaning of a completely meaningless icon.

Category Links :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

2005-03-20 16:58:09

By Hass :: March 23, 2005 @ 05:53 PM

Last Roll

Another day, not much to report. We're kinda getting into the parenting groove. We seem to have everything under control, but don't have a ton of time for blogging.

Sprout has been looking around, we think she is above average in terms of developmental skills and atheltic ability, but what else would you expect from parents? She sleeps, she doesn't sleep, we burp her, we feed her, we're tired. Nothing we can't handle though.

Last night's dinner menu: Salad with a homemade creamy Parsley Paprika dressing. Brown sugared baked sweet potatos and Mozzeralla sticks with Marinara Sauce. The little one still has a perfect record of sleeping through our candle-lit dinners, though many of the meals have consisted of Macaroni and Chesse, from a box.

Filled up the hard drive with baby pictures and movies, so we had to get another drive. Hopefully by tomorrow, I can make some more space and put up some more pics.

Redefinition

By Cole :: March 21, 2005 @ 07:50 AM

My mother sent me flowers last week, the attached card said simply " Children redefine your life, Love Mom". At the time, I understood the sentiment in the grander scheme. We are no longer a family of two, we had changed the very definition of our family.

This morning, I realize there is a less grandiose notion to that sentiment. However, the original statement says it best. Sprout's arrival has redefined nearly every aspect of our lives. For example:

• Sleep - Three hours at a stretch? Sounds divine. I am a fully functional adult on that amount of sleep. Furthermore, you string 2 of those stretches together over the course of a night, even broken up by one or two hours, and that I dare say is a full nights sleep.

• Cleanliness - The standards for my own, the house, and even Sprout's personal hygiene have been redefined. Two weeks ago I would never have imagined letting my baby sleep in a poopy diaper. Today my motto is - if it isn't bugging her, it isn't bugging me.

• Hunger - Eat what's available. The time of the meal matters not. Pancakes for dinner are entirely appropriate. Most importantly, eat when the kid is sleeping.

• Preconceived notions - Throw them out the window. "I won't use a pacifier/let her sleep in our bed/insert your own conventional wisdom"

Category Sprout :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

Lesson learned

By Hass :: March 21, 2005 @ 04:01 AM

Seems that when nicole eats pizza Sprout has a sleepless night. We'll have to remember that, again.

fussy.gif

The milk is not actually "bad" it just give Sprout gas, and makes her grunt like a pirate, arrrrr.

Category Sprout :: Comments (2) :: TrackBack (0)

Worst of the best

By Hass :: March 20, 2005 @ 05:55 PM

We just sent off the pictures for our birth announcement and ordered up a couple of iPhoto books for the fams. These are some of the left over pictures from the last week. I think a couple of these do appear in the books though.

Category Galleries :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

2005-03-18 09:20:45

By Hass :: March 20, 2005 @ 05:28 PM

2005-03-15 17:27:54

By Hass :: March 20, 2005 @ 05:26 PM

2005-03-15 16:08:51

By Hass :: March 20, 2005 @ 05:24 PM

Category Incoming Photos :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

My wife has wonderful breasts

By Hass :: March 18, 2005 @ 02:39 PM

We're back form a visit with our lactation consultant. In her professional opinion, Nicole is producing an abundant supply of milk! So abundant that we only need to feed Sprout from one side at a feeding. She gave us a few other tips which should help out our sleep quite a bit:

1) Let sleeping babies lay:: if she's sleeping comfortably don't change her.

2) Read her Bedtime stories:: okay not really, but she did say to wait 15-20 minutes between feeding and trying to put her to sleep.

3) Sprout probably isn't as hungry as she seems. Since Nicole's production is so good, sprout gets all she needs in 5 minutes. But she still has instinctual cravings to suck more. I've got ten typing fingers to let her nibble on.

Sprout also weighed in at a whoping 9 lbs 5 oz.

Category Cole :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

Patience

By Cole :: March 18, 2005 @ 07:10 AM

Talk to the people who know me best, and you'd likely discover a myriad of adjectives used to describe me, some positive, others likely not.

Like any expectant mother I had a number of concerns during my pregnancy as well. Somewhere in that long list of concerns came this one: I am not a patient person. I'm not even patient with the people I care for best. I grab mouses out of hands when I'm showing you how to do something on the computer. I get things myself from the kitchen even if I'm deathly ill becasue there's no possible way Hassan knows where it is anyway. You can't play a game of "Guess who I ran into at the store?" with me, becasue I HATE IT. I am simply not a patient person.

Thus, I was concerned. Sproutie was a carefully planned experiment for us, we entered into parenthood about as well prepared as we foolishly could (yes, yes I know now you're never prepared but I'm trying to be coherent on 2 hours of sleep, give me a break). I was concerned I'd lack the patience to be not only a *good* parent, but even, in my darker moments, an adequate parent. Hassan can't get me to play "Guess who I ran into", and I was going to be patient enough to deal with a being who's only means of communication for a good long time would be crying?

Here's what I've discovered. Patience has nothing to do with it. Biology fixed that for us millions of years ago. Sprout crys and I comfort, it's about a chemical response to sooth and care for her. The total lack of sleep helps as well. Who can worry about patience when you're just trying to survive anyway?

Category Sprout :: Comments (1) :: TrackBack (0)

Thorns and darkness

By Hass :: March 17, 2005 @ 07:06 AM

Remember those halcyon days called yesterday? The little angel has turnned into a little average baby with a couple of tricks. She hasn't been evil but she is now doing the things we expected a little baby to do: cry, poop, eat, repeat. You may notice that sleep is conspicuously absent from that list. It is conspiuously absent from our lives as well.

The bedroom looks like a battle ground this morning. The machines of war (boppy, swing, co-sleeper, pacifier, ipod, internet research, puppets) lay abandoned and broken around the room. The weary combatants stagger about looking for solace after so much destruction. And the cat solemly walks through the mist screaming out the names of fallen comrades.

The battle plan was based on a simple concept "we can get 8 hours of sleep, it'll just take 14 hours to do so." 7 p.m. the lights dimmed and we laid down with the enemy starting to look drowsy in our arms. "One feeding and she'll be out" chuckled the over-confident invaders. First came a poopie diaper change that rallyed the enemy banners. The resillency of the onslaught was a suprise for defenders and challengers alike.

9 p.m.: With the battle lines salient, the enemy regouped and attacked from a defensive posture with a vicous barrage of Cluster Feeding. The invading parents were flumoxed.

1 a.m.: Divide and Conquer. The invaders took a gamble and split their forces. Hass was sent to the couch to regroup, while mom and Josie battled it out on his side of the bed.

Things got foggy then, but Josie finally slept in the adult bed with parents alternating shifts sleeping as an L-shaped bumper.

7 a.m.: poopie diaper, feeding, repeat

12 hours down, and 4 hours of sleep.

Category Sprout :: Comments (2) :: TrackBack (0)

Before leaving the hospital

By Hass :: March 15, 2005 @ 10:13 PM

Category Galleries :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

Peaceful and still ends the day

By Hass :: March 15, 2005 @ 09:56 PM

Wow, that really wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I guess it still feels more like babysitting than the hassle we are prepared (fingers crossed) for.

We managed to have a productive and relaxing first day at home with the baby. In addition to baby care, we also did two loads of laundry, picked up perscriptions, edited 300 of the photos taken in the last three days, cleanned the kitchen (including wiping under the burners), took out the garbage/recylcing, ran the dishwasher and Hass even had time to browse the local camera store.

Our meals have not yet suffered from having the baby around, she slept peacefully while we dined with candle-light and a baby monitor. The menu included a salad with a homemade Aleppo/Dill dressing. Followed by Mac & Cheese (from a box) with quorn dog slices, and a side of buttered peas.

So far it's been all roses and sunshine with our perfect little angel baby. The other shoe should be dropping any second now (most likely in form of projectile infant excretions) . . .

Category Sprout :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

2005-03-15 12:08:20

By Hass :: March 15, 2005 @ 08:35 PM

2005-03-12 16:05:31

By Hass :: March 15, 2005 @ 08:33 PM

2005-03-12 16:01:42

By Hass :: March 15, 2005 @ 08:32 PM

recent

:: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

2005-03-12 15:58:39

By Hass :: March 15, 2005 @ 08:31 PM

2005-03-12 15:30:43

By Hass :: March 15, 2005 @ 08:29 PM

2005-03-12 14:39:52

By Hass :: March 15, 2005 @ 08:28 PM

2005-03-11 14:59:40

By Hass :: March 15, 2005 @ 08:26 PM

2005-03-12 14:01:17

By Hass :: March 15, 2005 @ 08:25 PM

2005-03-11 14:20:32

By Hass :: March 15, 2005 @ 08:23 PM

recent
Category Incoming Photos :: Comments (1) :: TrackBack (0)

Back Home

By Grandma H. :: March 15, 2005 @ 12:21 PM

Hass, Nicole, and Josephine are home from the hospital. They're all well and happy, and Josie is keeping Mommy and Daddy very busy.

Daddy tasks are curtailing Hass's playtime, but he's got plenty more photos and will edit and upload as soon as Josie lets him.

Category Sprout :: TrackBack (0)

Days of Yore

By Hass :: March 13, 2005 @ 11:55 PM

It's feeling a lot like college again. With Nicole camped out at the hospital, I have been living it up in my off-campus bachelor pad, even though I don't spend much time here. The place is a brewing sty though as I stumble in at unholly hours of the night and drop articles of clothing in a trail leading to my cold bed. Breakfast? what's that? I've been eating things I find, sometimes cooked, sometime in whatever state they come out of the freezer. Then it's up and at em early so I can get to my 8:15.

Nicole on the other hand is sharing a room a gal who was randomly assigned to live with her. This gal spends her nights sleeping with the television on and trying to sneak her boyfriend in during quiet hours. Cole spends her days wearing flannel pajama bottoms and a sweat shirt. She's eating food prepared in quantities that could feed an army, with a taste to match.

Cole is coming home Monday. Sprout might get to stay an extra day, not sure yet. She was a little dehydrated and had a fever for a little while Saturday night. There is talk of keeping an eye on her just to be on the safe side.

Category Hass :: Comments (1) :: TrackBack (1)

2005-03-12 16:01:29

By Hass :: March 13, 2005 @ 06:39 AM

Last Roll

Here's one cute picture for today. A nose, a finger how could you go wrong.

The labor/delivery videos are all up now. Check em out. They are ~20 megs a peice so you'll need patience. If you're interested enough to wait through the download I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Labor | Delivery | Cute baby

Full entry
Category Sprout :: Comments (1) :: TrackBack (0)

36 hours down, 157,644 hours to go.

By Hass :: March 12, 2005 @ 08:18 AM

Sprout (Josie) has been with us for 36 hours and we're already having trouble remembering that she hasn't always been part of the family.

I've got the video of the labor, delivery, and some cute baby boobling stuff editted down to three video clips. I'm already late for hanging out at the hospital. So, only one of those clips is up the website (it takes about 45 minutes to compress and upload the files) I'll get the others up when I've got time.

•This post was edited on at 7a.m on Sun. March 13.

Category Sprout :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

Labor

By Hass :: March 11, 2005 @ 07:09 AM

Category Galleries :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

C-section

By Hass :: March 11, 2005 @ 07:05 AM

Category Galleries :: Comments (1) :: TrackBack (0)

Recovery

By Hass :: March 11, 2005 @ 06:58 AM

Category Galleries :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

2005-03-10 23:15:53

By Hass :: March 11, 2005 @ 02:44 AM

2005-03-10 20:03:59

By Hass :: March 11, 2005 @ 02:43 AM

2005-03-10 20:01:51

By Hass :: March 11, 2005 @ 02:42 AM

sprout birth
Category Incoming Photos :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (2)

2005-03-10 14:39:41

2005-03-10 08:49:07

By Hass :: March 11, 2005 @ 02:28 AM

2005-03-10 07:06:50

By Hass :: March 11, 2005 @ 02:27 AM

Josie's here!

By Grandma H. :: March 10, 2005 @ 09:33 PM

Josephine Kyle Hodges made her entry into the world at 8:08 this evening. She weighs 8 lbs, 11 oz, is 21 in long (the longest baby in the nursery), and is absolutely perfect!

Josie was aiming in the wrong direction, so Nicole had a C-section after being in labor all day. Nicole was conscious and Hass was sitting beside her when Josie was born. All three of them are doing well.

Category Sprout :: TrackBack (0)

Moving Along

By Grandma H. :: March 10, 2005 @ 04:26 PM

Hass reported about 4:15 that labor was progressing slowly and steadily. Nicole was 7 cm dilated on her way to 10 cm. Since the epidural, she's been mostly pain-free, but has experienced nausea and trembling (from either labor or the pain meds).

Category Sprout :: TrackBack (0)

Moving along

By Grandma H. :: March 10, 2005 @ 04:12 PM

Labor's progressing. Nicole is 7 cm dilated, needs to get to 10. The epidural is keeping her free from pain, but she's experienced trembling and nausea (either from labor or the pain meds). Hass is doing OK too.

:: TrackBack (0)

Leaving for the Hospital

By Hass :: March 10, 2005 @ 06:46 AM

Wow, it feels like we're going away for the weekend, the cat has fresh liter and two bowls of food. Hass just finished the leftovers(indian: dum aloo and navrattan curry, emmm sweet sweet last meal), Cole had toast with peanut butter and jelly.

Not much to report, just that we're frantically running around to be there by 7:30. Feels like we've got an early flight, all of our labor toys are packed in carry-on sized parcels with no sharp objects in the bags. And once we get there I've gotta turn off my cell phone.

don't expect to see any comments approved until we return.

Category Sprout :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (1)

About that baby...

By Cole :: March 09, 2005 @ 09:49 AM

Our calendar has finally arrived!

We're due at Labor & Delivery tomorrow morning at 7:30 a.m.

The long wait comes to a close. I wish I could wax poetic about this, and write down something I could show my little girl many years from now that would have some meaning to it, but alas, all I'm really thinking about is finally getting her foot removed from underneath my right rib cage.

Anyhow, so long as our little girl finally opts to cooperate, Sprout's birthday will be March 10, 2005. Maybe I should rephrase that, if there is any sort of kindness, justice, benevolance, karma or whatever in the world, we'll have this baby tomorrow and not on Friday the 11th, after no fewer then 17 hours of labor.

We're still rooting for Sproutie to make a go of this on her own, so if anyone was any last minute labor inducing advice, let's hear it now.

While you're at it, for a limited time we'll accept any advice offered on parenting an infant. This offer is due to expire as soon as Sprout arrives home, and we realize she's the one calling the shots anyway.

Category Sprout :: Comments (5) :: TrackBack (0)

Nadda mucho

By Hass :: March 09, 2005 @ 06:49 AM

Wednesday morning update: Nothing to report.

Developments you can expect today: A date and time for the induction, with commentary from the mommy.

Things to do: review breathing directions; make little sign that says "I'm a breast fed baby, don't give me a bottle"

Fears: Throwing up; hugging the dr. too heartly.

Links: Do we seem impatient? We are, as Daddy Chip noted. But it probably seems much worse on the blog than in real Life. We're posting frequently with no news for the benfit of the fams, who are far away but love us muchly. If we didn't have this captive audience we'd have stopped posting when we stopped having something to say. But we continue . . . A little heads up though. once Sprout shows up you can expect to see a decline in the frequency of postings, but a profound increase in the number of cute pictures.

Category Sprout :: Comments (1) :: TrackBack (0)

Only a moment away

By Hass :: March 08, 2005 @ 02:48 PM

The board is set, and the game will soon be in motion. We're back from the Dr. and the good word is:

• Sprout is doing just fine and dandy, nice heart beat, plenty of fluid, cute smile and hanging out in a real comfy place.

• The smack down has been set. We've got 48 hours to get her moving on our own, or they will use modern "medicine" to pry the bun from the oven. Thus inducing us into the national parental society. The final date and time hasn't yet been set, but once everything is scheduled they are planning to get things started on Thursday or Friday.

• Roads are crappy, Hass (yeah remember him) opted to just take the whole day off for our last day of playing hookey and really playing hookey instead of playing entertain the drooling urchin. It seemed silly to brave the ice and traffic only to get to work and have labor start. Perhaps risks like that are all it would take to get the little one moving.

For our last day of freedom we're planning to lie around naked reading socialist propoganda.

Category Sprout :: Comments (1) :: TrackBack (0)

Another day, still no baby

By Hass :: March 08, 2005 @ 06:55 AM

A new rumor has been circulating on the internet: Sprout sneaks out at night and parties with the cat, only to sneak back in before we wake up. This would explain why sprout isn't in too much of a hurry to get moving.

We've got the Dr. today. and a snow storm this evening. That combination should surely get things going.

We're also starting to forget that there is a baby on the way. Late-tem pregnancy is starting to feel like more of a lifestyle choice than an inbetween step. Setting up the nursery feels like just a little game to occupy our time.

otherwise nothing to report.

Here is all of the information from this post set to music.

Category Sprout :: Comments (1) :: TrackBack (0)

About the Cookies

By Cole :: March 07, 2005 @ 06:47 PM

After some internal debate, I added my recipe for chocolate chip cookies to the recipe list. Why so much debate you may wonder? There's nothing "special" about the recipe, except that I've added a few tweaks that make for an excellent cookie.

The tweaks:
• High quality, double strength, Madagascar Vanilla.
• The best quality chocolate you can find (grocery store, garden variety semi-sweet chocolate chips are not what I'm talking about).
• Dark brown sugar.

Now, about the Vanilla, yes it is expensive, almost prohibitively so, however, I cannot suitably describe the richness in flavor it will add. Splurge, you won't regret it (and yes - use 2 teaspoons). The same rule applies for the chocolate, go for the best quality stuff you can find. As for the dark brown sugar, this also adds a richness to the cookie not present with the usage of light brown sugar.

Enjoy.

Category Cole :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

Chocolate Chip Cookies

By Cole :: March 07, 2005 @ 06:26 PM

• 2 1/4 C Flour
• 1 tsp. Baking Soda
• 1/2 tsp. Salt
• 1 C. Butter
• 3/4 C. Sugar
• 3/4 C. Firmly Packed Dark Brown Sugar
• 2 tsp.Vanilla
• 2 large eggs
• 12 ounces best quality chocolate

Cream butter and sugar together, when smooth, add eggs and vanilla one at a time, mixing until combined. Add remaining dry ingredients, mixing well. Finish by stirring in chocolate chunks/chips.

Bake at 350° for 9 to 11 minutes.

Category Recipes :: Category Desserts :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (2)

New Rules of the Game

By Cole :: March 07, 2005 @ 08:19 AM

We here at Mapgoblin have revised our posting policies:

1. Lack of a recent entry does not equate to labor and/or hospital trip.
2. Occurrence of recent entry may not equate to labor and/or hospital trip either.

To sum, we're running out of Sprout related posting fodder.

No additional news to report. Both Hassan and I had a lovely contraction-free weekend, followed by 8 sound hours of sleep.

Move along please.

Category Cole :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

My wife is beautiful

By Hass :: March 06, 2005 @ 07:14 PM

Playing around with the photographic hobby, not much else to do with the baby not here yet.

Category Galleries :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (2)

2005-03-04 08:25:53

By Hass :: March 06, 2005 @ 07:13 PM

recent

Hey! you, yeah you! Somebody forget about me? I'm still here. I went on a bender last night and threw-up six times in four different rooms, and nobody mentions it on the blog.

That's the last time I eat tropical plants though. Mixing an Aloe plant and Yucca palm is like mixing beer and wine.

Full entry
Category Incoming Photos :: Comments (2) :: TrackBack (0)

2005-03-04 08:25:53

By Hass :: March 06, 2005 @ 07:13 PM

recent

Hey! you, yeah you! Somebody forget about me? I'm still here. I threw up in six times in four different rooms last night and nobody mentions it on the blog. I did learn my lesson though, don't mix plants.

2005-03-06 16:20:58

By Hass :: March 06, 2005 @ 07:07 PM

2005-03-06 16:17:55

By Hass :: March 06, 2005 @ 07:06 PM

2005-03-06 16:21:49

By Hass :: March 06, 2005 @ 07:05 PM

Category Incoming Photos :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

M.D.A.E.B.B (Mid-day and Evening Baby Briefing)

By Cole :: March 06, 2005 @ 04:43 PM

Okay, here's where we stand:

• We're running out of snappy headlines. Suggestions? Suggestions? Winner gets to see their headline used.

• Hassan's interest in the website is beginng to fade, and not slowly. After months of perfecting this baby, the man is turning his interests back to his sorely neglected photography. Expect to see less exciting changes to Mapgoblin, but potentially more pictures (at least of Sprout).

• We're considering going out for Indian food. Hass has this theory that some Vegetable Vindaloo should get Sprout moving. Nicole thinks this will only result in indigestion and not labor.

• Our crib was delievered today, Sprout now has 2 places she can lounge around and/or sleep in the house. The only other entity in the house that can claim equal to or more is the cat, however his ability to fall asleep while standing up may give him a strategic advantage over everyone.

• Oh, yea - the baby-briefing. Nothing to report.

Category Cole :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

ToDone

By Hass :: March 06, 2005 @ 07:19 AM

Our vigil continues with little change. We have used this bonus nesting time to make progress on the todo list. Everything is in much better shape than we had planned on. The website seems to be finished, the nursery is about 3 hours away from being completely set up(with no immediate needs), we've been making cookies and doing laundry not out of neccessity but out of bordem. If anybody thinks the website is missing something let me know, seems like we have time to put it up.

Nothing new to report.

Category Sprout :: Comments (2) :: TrackBack (0)

E.B.B. (Evening Baby Briefing)

By Hass :: March 05, 2005 @ 09:55 PM

Status remains quo. We're entertaining any suggestions for old wives tales of how to make a baby pop-out. Absolutely nothing to report.

Category Sprout :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

M.D.B.B. (Mid-Day Baby Briefing)

By Hass :: March 05, 2005 @ 02:41 PM

Back from a trip to Babies R Us and the Short Hills Mall. We had hoped that walking and seeing all of the strollers and petullant rich kids would coax sprout forth. But alas all we have done is wear Nicole out and given Hass a craving for cookie press cookies. Looks like the rest of the day will be spent resting and baking. There might be some irony here in that there is a bun in the oven (did anybody set a timer?), and soon there will be cookie dough on the counter.

At least it's the weekend and we're home together without any fears of trying to rush home through rush hour traffic, only to have to turn around and rush back in the other direction toward the hospital.

Category Sprout :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (1)

All quiet on the uterine front

By Hass :: March 05, 2005 @ 08:26 AM

We've entered a perpetual state of feeling as though something big is 48 hours away. We've felt this way since tuesday. Meaning we were confident about Thursday, Friday, today, tomorrow and now Monday. Merry Christmas whenever it is!

We're planning some walking today, a lap around the mall if we can make it that far. Hopefully that will get sprout moving and the added benefit of water breaking somewhere we don't have to clean it up.

Category Sprout :: Comments (1) :: TrackBack (0)

Chrip, Chirp

By Hass :: March 04, 2005 @ 10:23 PM

What's that sound? yes it's crickets. The sound of silent air. Nothing new happening, no babies tonight. But the little lady is looking sleepy. Good night world.

Category Sprout :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

Nothin' Doin'

By Cole :: March 04, 2005 @ 11:03 AM

That about sums about the situation at the Hodges' House. However, I would be remiss without saying: Happy Due Date Sprout!

I don't think we'll be wishing Sprout a Happy Birthday today. Nothing to report here. Momma and Baby feeling well. We sent a reluctant Hassan off to work just 30 minutes ago.

Plans for the weekend include lots of walking, to see if we can get this labor thing moving along.

Category Cole :: Comments (2) :: TrackBack (0)

Rules of the game

By Hass :: March 03, 2005 @ 08:17 PM

It's like waiting for christmas, but without a calendar. So every morning (afternoon and evening) we run downstairs and look under the tree, but find nothing.

Since we don't really know when christmas is going to come, once a week we go see Dr. Claus F.A.C.O.G., and she looks around the chimmney and says "Whoa, there is a fat bearded man just itching to get through there. He's most of the way down the flue, even widenned it by 4cm. Would you like some Egg Nog? You'd better go home and put those cookies and milk out. oh, and don't leave home without your sheet of Carolling lyrics."

So we go home, and put the cookies and milk out and go to sleep. Morning comes, the cat drank the milk and sold the cookies to get his drug money. Oh, what's that under the tree? Is that a bow? yes it's a bow! Are there any other bows? It's 8:15, how long until we find the next bow? how long between bows? oh it's noon and there aren't any more bows, guess it's not christmas.

So we wait, and try to stay off the naughty list.

Category Sprout :: Comments (2) :: TrackBack (0)

Wondering?

By Cole :: March 03, 2005 @ 04:49 PM

That would be you (the reader), I know by now you're wondering ; "does she ever do anything other then lay around the house?" Yea, the only pictures he's taken of me recently tend to show me sleeping, getting ready to sleep, or waking up from sleeping.

So, in case you're wondering about that...I spent almost the whole of today sitting upright in the living room chair. (Check out the photo gallery to see pictures of it). It's a large and comfortable chair, with an ottoman (a furnitute term Hassan is most uncomfortable with).

That, is also the update for the day. No signs of the Sproutie yet. Hassan suggested turning off the cable and presenting her with an eviction notice. Now, if I could just get her to turn down the damn stereo long enough for her to hear me, we might be on to something.

Category Cole :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

Early Thursday Morning

By Hass :: March 03, 2005 @ 07:52 AM

Last 2 Rolls

The waiting/bordeom game continues. The cat seems to be winning the game though. His ability to sleep for 40 hours a day and wake up only for his little photo shoots before sulking back to the couch give him the strategic advantage. Hass occupies his worries by fiddling with the website, in the hope that one last change will make the baby love him more. Cole reads, sleeps, eats, naps, waits.

Full entry
Category Incoming Photos :: Comments (1) :: TrackBack (1)

2005-03-03 07:11:27

By Hass :: March 03, 2005 @ 07:44 AM

drivewaysnow

Slack-jawed neighbors cut corners on their part of the driveway, but not ours.

2005-03-03 07:01:41

By Hass :: March 03, 2005 @ 07:43 AM

drivewaysnow

N.J. ranks 6th in the nation for S.U.V. ownership. But you don't need 4-wheel drive to get in this driveway.

2005-03-03 07:01:28

By Hass :: March 03, 2005 @ 07:42 AM

drivewaysnow

The path to the garbage cans is clear as a an Arizona sunset.

2005-03-03 06:59:53

By Hass :: March 03, 2005 @ 07:42 AM

drivewaysnow

A few chunks of ice have fought their way down from the ice barricade to foul the clean blacktop.

2005-03-03 06:59:22

By Hass :: March 03, 2005 @ 07:41 AM

drivewaysnow

PIled snow provides a warning to other flakes: "fall here, and meet the same fate."

2005-03-03 06:59:07

By Hass :: March 03, 2005 @ 07:40 AM

drivewaysnow

The peak of mount snow pile sits more than 300 feet above sea level.

A shovelled driveway

By Hass :: March 03, 2005 @ 07:40 AM

It's been a few days since the snow fell, but the audience is still clamoring to see pictures of The shovelling.

Category Galleries :: Comments (0) :: TrackBack (0)

Non-baby related item

By Hass :: March 02, 2005 @ 11:01 PM

Topographical (Chris Pirillo)

I had't heard about this satellite imagery tool, it must have slipped under the radar(ba dum pum). I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds wicked cool. Sounds like the boys at NASA have had their thinking caps on again.

Category Maps :: TrackBack (12)

2005-03-02 21:01:47

By Hass :: March 02, 2005 @ 09:29 PM

Library

Sprout could be here any minute, but she isn't. The waiting game continues. Cole sleeps, with appropriate water breaking caution. The cat finds a comfy corner. And I try to look calm.

Full entry
Category Incoming Photos :: Comments (1) :: TrackBack (0)

My Professional Opinion

By Hass :: March 02, 2005 @ 09:37 AM

As a trained journalist who has participated in upwards of zero birthing processes over my long carrer, I can officially say that I think we're about to have a baby, I'm putting my money on something popping out within in the next 48 hours. That should get us onto 03/04/05.

I'm off to work (with my cell phone in hand), gotta finish a few things. Nicole is on the couch, looking puny. A towel is neatly placed under the business areas incase the water breaks. Says she's having cramps and blaming them on the mexican we had for dinner last night. I say she's having contractions.

This has been complete speculation. (TRANSLATION: don't get your hopes up too high)

Category Cole :: Comments (1) :: TrackBack (0)

Somewhat Noteworthy Updating

By Cole :: March 01, 2005 @ 08:33 PM

4 cm.

This has turned into a game of - "Just how dilated can Nicole be while not actually being in labor?"

Hopefully this won't have the same ending as "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop" becasue frankly, I don't think the world can survive with never knowing.

The Dr says anytime now. Hass is excited, I'm skeptical. We've been saying THAT for 4 weeks.

We'll see if I'm still posting after next weeks Dr's appointment.

P.S. - Hass wanted me to mention to everyone that he shoveled the driveway this morning, and even I'll confess in a manner that could make this Buffalo-born girl proud. You would have never known he was born in the tropics.

Category Cole :: Comments (2) :: TrackBack (0)

Unnoteworthy Updating

By Cole :: March 01, 2005 @ 09:00 AM

Doctor's Appointment recheduled for 4 o'clock this afternoon. Expect no news until the evening. Actually, in general expect no news today. Cole and Sprout doing well, no signs of labor.

Category Cole :: Comments (1) :: TrackBack (0)